Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pirates!

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies have to be among my favorite movies of all time.  In the first movie, The Curse of the Black Pearl, Elizabeth Swann is destined to marry Captain James Norrington who later becomes Commodore of the Royal Navy.  With his pristine status, it only makes sense for the governor’s daughter, Elizabeth, to marry this man.  The problem is that Elizabeth doesn’t truly love Norrington, but loves a pirate named William Turner.  At first, Elizabeth doesn’t accept Norrington’s proposal to get married.  However, at another time, she agrees to marry Norrington only if he agrees to rescue William from Barbossa.  I feel like Elizabeth and Norrington relate to Mrs. Linden and Krogstad from A Doll’s House.  Mrs. Linden married a man for his money and not for love.  In actuality, she loved Krogstad but ended up breaking his heart by marrying another man.  As a result, she lived a miserable life even though she had all the money she needed.  I feel like this exemplifies how even though you might have all the money in the world, it does not mean that you will be genuinely happy.  When I look through magazines and watch T.V. (especially MTV Cribs), I can’t help but become jealous of what some celebrities have.  But then I realize that sometimes these people aren’t truly happy; there could be family or drug related problems.  It actually seems that many celebrities aren’t happy.  In this way, I feel very blessed with what I have.
Towards the end of the play, Mrs. Linden tells Krogstad she wants to get back together with him.  This took a while, but at least Mrs. Linden chose to follow her heart in the end.  In Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Elizabeth finally marries William and they are as happy as can be!
Elizabeth and Norrington
Elizabeth and William

No comments:

Post a Comment