Sunday, November 7, 2010

Black Eyes, Blue Tears

Once I finished reading A Doll’s House, I felt a sort of relief.  One reason was that Mrs. Linden and Krogstad got together.  Another reason was that the truth came out about Nora borrowing money from Krogstad.  I felt like it was very necessary for Helmer to know what Nora did; otherwise, they would not be sharing an authentic relationship together.  When Helmer found out about the truth, his character changed from being controlling to more vulernable.  Nora finally realized what she had been a part of for many years and decided she didn’t want it any longer.  “Black Eyes, Blue Tears” by Shania Twain (one of my favorite singers!) is about leaving an abusive relationship.  Even though Nora and Helmer’s relationship wasn’t quite abusive in a physical way, I think it was abusive in a psychological way.  Below are some of Twain’s lyrics:
“Black eyes, I don't need 'em
Blue tears, gimme freedom
Positively never goin' back
I won't live where things are so out of whack
No more rollin' with the punches
No more usin' or abusin'
Definitley found my self esteem
Finally-I'm forever free to dream”



While singing the song, Shania seems uplifted and free of what was holding her back.  That is how I felt about Nora's character at the end of the play.  By leaving Helmer, she was no longer succumbed to his commands; she is now able to live for herself and no one else.  Everything that went on in her house was fake and “out of whack” (Twain).  She doesn’t want to adjust to what Helmer or society thinks of her.  When she came to the realization and told Helmer that she didn’t love him, it was like she found her self-esteem and was able to speak up on her own (relating to the last two lines of Twain’s lyrics).  By standing up for herself, she is now able to able to express herself freely and not be hindered by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment