At the end of A Doll’s House, Nora realizes that she doesn’t know who she is and must change her ways; she feels trapped inside of her “dollhouse”. This enlightenment happens right after Torvald assures Nora that he has forgiven her of borrowing the large sum of money from Krogstad. Nora replies by saying that she never really understood him, nor Helmer about herself. Nora’s recognition to her desperate situation reminds me of the song “Living a Lie” by 3 Doors Down. Being one of my favorite bands, I love how 3 Doors Down can make a serious situation feel genuine and personal. Here are some of the lyrics from their song “Living a Lie”:
“Now it's time to say goodbye
I've been living this lie for way too long
I can't handle this lie got to say goodbye
I've been living this lie for way too long
Blame it on this way of thinking
Blame it on someone
There's no answers only questions that have come undone
It doesn't help to think about it
It only makes me feel used
Now there's nothing left to think about
Nothing's true....”
I've been living this lie for way too long
I can't handle this lie got to say goodbye
I've been living this lie for way too long
Blame it on this way of thinking
Blame it on someone
There's no answers only questions that have come undone
It doesn't help to think about it
It only makes me feel used
Now there's nothing left to think about
Nothing's true....”
These lyrics seem quite depressing, and it makes you feel like there’s no way out. When they sing, “there’s no answers, only questions that have come undone”, it reminds me of Nora and how she was full of questions when she realized she didn’t love Helmer. In the beginning, when Nora thought everything was dandy, she never questioned anything. It’s interesting how Nora then began to doubt the authenticity of her lifestyle when she realized Helmer’s motives; everything was a show for him and there was nothing real about his character. Even though it is pretty sad that Nora left her husband and children, I still think there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel hopeful for Nora because she is now free of all oppression from Helmer, and she doesn’t have to waste her time pleasing him or society any longer. She has been “living this lie for way too long [and she has to] say goodbye” (3 Doors Down).
No comments:
Post a Comment